Monday, May 4, 2009

Help needed to calculate volume for some medical research?

I need to apply Boyles law for some medical research and would appreciate if you can confirm my calculations. I have a sphere of volume 306.44 micro liters, at one atmospheric pressure (1 ATA). I now apply a pressure of 2.8 ATA externally onto this sphere. Applying Boyles law, I calculate that this sphere will become smaller by 197 micro liters and become 109.44 micro liters in volume. My maths is rusty , so confirmation of these calculations will be much appreciated.

Help needed to calculate volume for some medical research?
P(1)V(1) = P(2)V(2)





This, of course, assumes that the external pressure before compression was 1.00 atm. Otherwise, the math looks good.
Reply:The math looks good, but the science may be wrong. First, how do you expect to change the volume of a sphere? Secondly, your calc is OK if the process is ultimatly isothermal, a condition you don't state.

dog teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment