Monday, April 26, 2010

Research experience for medical school?

I will be a sophomore in college beginning in the fall. I have worked three summers (beginning the summer before my senior year of high school until now, the summer after my freshman year of college) and a full school year (during my senior year of high school) in the same research lab at the NIH. I will also be getting two letter of recommendation ( from my supervisor and from my mentor) for medical school.





I want to go to a primary care oriented medical school and do not plan to do research in medical school. But I have come to this conclusion only after doing research and still want to show that I did research in college. And some medical schools that I want to apply to have high ranking in both research and primary care (so I want to show that I have both). Will medical schools acknowledge the research that I did in high school or will they only care about the one summer that I did after freshman year of college in this lab?

Research experience for medical school?
When you apply to medical school, the letters of recommendation from your supervisor and mentor will be useful. However, you will also need letters from those who taught you in your senior year in college. The former letters will provide sufficient acknowledgment of the work that you did during your senior year in high school. In your application to medical school, you need to (and the faculty members who write letters for you will) focus on your activities during your junior and senior years in college.


No comments:

Post a Comment