Monday, April 26, 2010

Ethical use of animals in biomedical research?

I am diong a presentation in my Medical Ethics class about animals used in biomedical research. Any suggesitons on additional topics? What I have so far:


I. Intro (ways porople use animals - medical %26amp; non medical)


II. Pro's of using animals in medical research


III. Opinion of Animal Rights Activists


IV. Public Opinion


V. Types of animals used


VI. Medical Advancements made possible by animal research


VII. Ethical guidelines of animal use


VIII. Animal Welfare Act





I also need a bit of help with the comclusion. My positon is that the sue of animals in biomedical research is a very valuable tool, but that ethical guidelines should be adhered to and every precaution should be taken to reduce invasiveness and pain, and to ensure that there are no other alternative models.

Ethical use of animals in biomedical research?
Something very timely for your presentation might be to include a section on the Animal Enterprise Terrorism Act (AETA) that's currently making its way through Congress.





The AETA is designed in part to protect researchers from attacks on their work and their personal lives. You can find more info on the bill at http://www.nabr.org. It's a relatively straightfoward piece of legislation that could have a big impact.
Reply:When I was teaching, I had a worksheet I used that asked from very simple to very thoughtful questions with a 1 to 3 scale.(never, sometimes, always) It started with would you step on an ant? Would you kill a mosquito that was about to bite you? How should a doctor practice a new operation, etc.

hotels

No comments:

Post a Comment